Call for entry
The Des Moines Art Center invites you to participate in Sculpting Our Community, a showcase of your artwork, celebrating the 10th anniversary of the Pappajohn Sculpture Park. All are encouraged to create art in any media inspired by the sculptures. To participate, please follow these five steps:
- Go the Pappajohn Sculpture Park* or scroll through the photos of sculptures above.
- Create your original artwork inspired by a sculpture.
- Scan your artwork or stage a digital photograph with good lighting of your artwork.
- Upload the highest resolution image to the form below.
- View a printed photograph of your art on display.
Images will be printed and on display (weather permitting) at a free community celebration for participants, guests, and supporters on September 7, 2019 from 4 – 7 pm at the Pappajohn Sculpture Park.
*If you create art at the Pappajohn Sculpture Park, please observe the no touching rule.
What are we looking for?
- Artwork will be inspired by sculptures in the Pappajohn Sculpture Park. It can be abstract or realistic, but at least one sculpture must be incorporated. Sorry, but we are not looking for portrait photography, wedding photography, or animal portraits. The sculpture should be the starring role.
- Art can be any media and any size, pending there is a digital photo of your artwork uploaded to our website.
Who can submit artwork?
- All ages are encouraged to enter.
- Anyone from any state or country is welcome to participate.
What is not allowed?
All photos must be of original work and must NOT contain material which:
- violates or infringes another's rights, including but not limited to privacy, publicity, or intellectual property rights, or constitutes copyright infringement
- has watermarks or trademarks of photography businesses
- is inappropriate or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, or age
- is in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations in any state where the photo is created
The Call for Entry is open for submission through August 1, 2019. Limit one image per person. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515.271.0349 with any questions.
Entries Due Online: Thursday, August 1, 2019
Sculpting Our Community and Pappajohn Sculpture Park Celebration: Saturday, September 7 / 4 – 7 pm
How to submit your application
- Images must be sized properly or they will not upload. The printed size will be no larger than 11 x 17 inches with a printed resolution of 300-600 dpi.
- All layers must be flattened.
- Save images as a jpeg or pdf using the highest quality that keeps the file size between 1 MB and 5 MB.
- Name your file as follows LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_TITLE
All fields marked with * are required.