Studio Education Assistant
The Des Moines Art Center is a world-class museum in the heart of the Midwest. With a focus on contemporary art, it has amassed an important collection exhibited in three major buildings, on the grounds, and downtown in the John and Mary Pappajohn Sculpture Park. In addition, the Art Center presents thought-provoking exhibitions, educational programs and hands-on studio art classes.
The Art Center seeks a Studio Education Assistant to act as a customer service ambassador for Studio Education and the Art Center to the general public and students, while providing support for the Studio Education department and ensuring a secure environment. The hours for the position are flexible at approx. 35 – 40 hrs. per week
- Promotes good public relations and provides excellent customer service to students and visitors in person and over the phone. Generates excitement for the Art Center’s Education Department by providing information to visitors and prospective students about classes and programs.
- Ability to act as security point person to ensure safety of building, visitors and staff.
- Promotes classes, responds to inquiries, and processes drop-in registrations. Provides direction to students and faculty.
- Provides administrative and other support to Studio Education, including but not limited to class schedule distribution, studio organization and cleaning, and software updates on technology equipment.
- Responsible for enrollment tracking and reporting.
- Maintains Studio Education calendar and coordinates with Studio Education and Maintenance to execute studio set-up according to class needs.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent customer service and communication skills including the ability to provide detailed or important instructions verbally and in writing to others quickly and accurately.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office programs, specifically strong Excel and Word skills and internet applications.
- Able to work in a database system and maintain accurate complex records and prepare reports.
- Able to prioritize and handle multiple tasks at once while providing customer service to the public.
- Comfortable using all forms of technological devices including PCs, Macs, tablets and printers.
- Exercises good judgment and makes decisions independently in line with the policy and practices of the Art Center.
- Flexibility in scheduling to meet department needs. Must have availability and willingness to work evenings and weekends.
Education, Experience and Certification
- Experience in sales and customer service preferred
- Experience with Tessitura or fundraising databases preferred
- Work is mostly sedentary or light work; however, the ability to lift or move 10 – 20 pounds frequently to assist students and visitors and up to 60 pounds occasionally is required to rearrange studio equipment and set up tables
- Must be able to sit for sustained periods of time
- Ability to pass criminal background check
- Must have reliable transportation to and from work
- Ability to work with all people regardless of age, race, gender, sexual orientation across all differences.
Work is performed indoors in an office and/or studio classroom environment. This position is scheduled to work approximately 35 – 40 hours per week. Work schedule requires extreme flexibility as work hours vary significantly with the changing semesters.
In general, evening hours are required approx. 2–3 nights per week when classes are in session mid-January through April; June and July; and mid-August through mid-December. Daytime weekend work is year round.
Daytime shifts are required during weeks when studio classes are not in session.
Work schedule has the potential to vary drastically and may consist of a combination of day and evening hours.
This is a full-time position eligible for benefits including health, dental, vision, life, long-term disability, short-term disability, accident insurance, critical illness, flexible spending, employee assistance program, 403(b) retirement and paid family leave.
Starting wage is based on skill and experience.
To be considered for this position, please fill out the application below.