Part-Time Security Officer
The Des Moines Art Center is a world-class museum in the heart of the Midwest. With a focus on contemporary art, it has amassed an important collection exhibited in three major buildings, on the grounds, and downtown in the John and Mary Pappajohn Sculpture Park. In addition, the Art Center presents thought-provoking exhibitions, educational programs and hands-on studio art classes.
The Art Center seeks a Part-Time Security Officer to safeguard and protect all assets, personnel, students, visitors and guests. Concurrent with ensuring a safe environment, this position provides excellent internal and external customer service.
- Protection of assets, personnel and visitors
- Provides security for galleries, public spaces, studios, meeting rooms, offices, storage areas, traffic corridors. Is vigilant to maintain situational awareness at all times to mitigate vulnerabilities, and prevent persons from removing, vandalizing, stealing, or destroying work of art or other museum property.
- Maintains current knowledge of museum exhibitions and related security considerations for all galleries.
- Observes artwork and galleries in assigned area of responsibility for condition changes of any kind; promptly reports inconsistencies and potentially harmful conditions such as environmental effects (water leak, humidity, temperature, condensation, etc.) to the Director of Security or Security Supervisor.
- Understands and executes Security’s standard operating procedures and special orders.
- Responds to emergency calls for assistance, administers first aid and records details of visitor incidents as needed.
- Internal and external customer service
- Respectfully remind/inform visitors of rules, regulations, and proper conduct while in the museum
- Generate excitement about and interest in the Art Center by providing visitors information on the Art Center, its programs, and activities.
- Uphold the Art Center’s commitment to inclusivity and accessibility.
- Maintains a team-oriented attitude
- Attends meetings and training programs to maintain current knowledge of Art Center programs and policies.
- Act in ways that reflect favorably on the Art Center and maintains professional standards in the quality of performance and demonstration of concern for the Art Center’s collection, programs, and facilities. Adheres to Des Moines Art Center Code of Ethics, Employee Handbook and other organizational policies.
- Dependability, flexibility, and adaptability, in a dynamically moving and event-driven environment
- Ability to exercise good judgment in carrying out established policies and procedures for security and safety of people, artwork and museum facilities in a consistent manner.
- Ability to understand and effectively communicate verbally, and with appropriate body language.
- Some training in security and/or safety is preferred.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Participates in day-to-day decision making within established security procedures and organizational policies, utilizing good judgement in evolving situations, always with a customer-focused mindset.
- This position reports to the Director of Security and has frequent contact with peers and supervisors in security, maintenance, installations, education, visitor experience, museum shop, and curatorial departments. Security Officers are in constant contact with museum visitors, docent volunteers, and students of all ages.
- Most often, work is inside, in a climate-controlled environment with light background noise. Shift times may vary to meet the museum’s requirement to staff the facilities during open hours and to staff private events.
- Work requires long periods of sustained standing. Approximately 95% of time is spent standing or moving around work areas. Balance of times (approximately 5%) is spent seated.
- Speaking/Hearing: Clear dictation is required for activities which demand detailed or important instructions spoken to others accurately, clearly, or quickly. Adequate hearing is necessary for effective communication with visitors.
- Vision: Corrected vision close to 20/20 is necessary to inspect artwork and gallery conditions.
- Lifting/Carrying/Pushing/Pulling: The ability to lift and carry weights that may exceed 20 pounds.
- Stooping/Kneeling: The ability to stoop and kneel is necessary for performing inspections.
- Reaching/Handling: Good manual dexterity is necessary for radio use and handling of keys and doors.
To be considered for this position, you must be available to work during the following times: Thursday evenings (4 – 9 pm), Saturdays (10 am – 4 pm), and Sundays (12 – 4 pm). Position requires 15 – 20 hours per week.
Starting wage negotiable based on skill and experience.
This position will remain open until filled.
Equal Employment Statement
The Art Center is dedicated to equal employment and advancement opportunities. It is the Art Center’s policy to hire and promote qualified individuals on the basis of their qualifications, interest and aptitude, without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other protected group under applicable state, federal or local law.
To be considered for this position, please fill out the application below.