Part-Time Seasonal Sales Associate
The Des Moines Art Center is a world-class museum in the heart of the Midwest. With a focus on contemporary art, it has amassed an important collection exhibited in three major buildings, on the grounds, and downtown in the John and Mary Pappajohn Sculpture Park. In addition, the Art Center presents thought-provoking exhibitions, educational programs and hands-on studio art classes.
The Art Center seeks a Part-Time Seasonal Sales Associate to provide excellent customer service to museum visitors and retail customers. This position is knowledgeable about shop inventory and able to assist customers with finding and purchasing desired merchandise.
- Enters sale transactions and takes payments for merchandise
- Opens point of sale register and balances register drawer at the close of each day.
- Straightens, cleans, and organizes sales floor each day upon arrival and periodically throughout the day
- Receives and prices incoming merchandise
- Maintains current product knowledge and relates product information to customers
- Promotes Art Center membership to visitors and customers
- Takes initiative to learn about the Art Center’s permanent collections, rotating exhibitions, and related programming.
- Acts in ways that reflect favorably on the Art Center and maintains professional standards in the quality of performance and demonstration of concern for the Art Center’s collection, programs, and facilities. Adheres to Des Moines Art Center Code of Ethics, Employee Handbook and other organizational policies.
- Proficient at using the point-of-sale software system.
- Prior experience using a POS register and inventory system preferred
- Great attitude and willingness to work in a relatively confined space for the majority of the work day
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel; able to quickly navigate the Internet
- Experience in sales and customer service preferred
- Must have reliable transportation to and from work
- Participates in day-to-day operational decision making within established policies
- This position reports to the Retail Operations Manager and has frequent contact with peers and managers in various departments, as well as constant communication and interaction with visitors of all ages.
- Work may require long periods of sustained standing
- Speaking/Hearing: Clear dictation is required for activities which demand detailed or important instructions spoken to others accurately, clearly, or quickly. Adequate hearing is necessary for effective communication with visitors.
- Lifting/Carrying/Pushing/Pulling: The ability to lift and carry weights that may exceed 25 pounds and push and pull carts loaded with up to 80 pounds
- Must be able to climb a step ladder
- Stooping/Kneeling: The ability to stoop and kneel is necessary for stocking and cleaning
This position requires availability on Thursdays (10:30 am – 4:30 pm), Saturdays (10:30 am – 4:30 pm), and Sundays (12:30 – 4:30 pm).
Starting wage negotiable based on skill and experience.
This position will remain open until filled.
Equal Employment Statement
The Art Center is dedicated to equal employment and advancement opportunities. It is the Art Center’s policy to hire and promote qualified individuals on the basis of their qualifications, interest and aptitude, without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other protected group under applicable state, federal or local law.
Please complete the form below to apply: