Janitorial / Maintenance Support Worker
The Des Moines Art Center is a world-class museum in the heart of the Midwest. With a focus on contemporary art, it has amassed an important collection exhibited in three major buildings, on the grounds, and downtown in the John and Mary Pappajohn Sculpture Park. In addition, the Art Center presents thought-provoking exhibitions, educational programs and hands-on studio art classes.
Janitorial / Maintenance Support Workers provide a fresh, clean, and safe environment for visitors and staff by performing maintenance and janitorial duties in the Art Center’s facility and on the grounds.
- Performs cleaning duties involving (a) Restrooms, includes washing walls and floors, trash removal, maintaining adequate paper supplies, cleaning and sanitizing all fixtures daily or more often as needed (b) Vacuuming, mopping, waxing and polishing floors (c) Washing windows, cleaning sinks and refrigerators (d) Trash removal (e) Dusting window ledges and blinds in offices
- Maintains current knowledge of the Art Center studio and events calendars, and sets up and tears down furniture and equipment for special events and other programs according to schedule.
- Performs ground work, including mowing, grounds trimming and watering, snow removal, and removal of trash and debris
- Clean and monitor reflecting pool filters and chemicals
- Changes light bulbs and repairs ballasts
- Launders towels for facility use and event linens
- Makes minor repairs to pluming, drains, furniture and equipment
- Monitor air handling units, grease motors, replace belts and filters according to schedule
- Paints interior and exterior surfaces
- Upholds the Art Center’s commitment to inclusivity and accessibility.
- Acts in ways that reflect favorably on the Art Center and maintains professional standards in the quality of performance and demonstration of concern for the Art Center’s collection, programs, and facilities. Adheres to Des Moines Art Center Code of Ethics, Employee Handbook and other organizational policies.
- Must be self-motivated and able to follow through and complete a job
- Good problem solving and critical thinking skills; able to balance multiple priorities and demands simultaneously
- Able to perform light carpentry, plumbing, electrical, and mechanical repairs to building and equipment
- Basic computer skills including navigating the internet and utilizing Outlook calendar and email functions
- HVAC, building mechanical systems and general construction knowledge preferred
- Valid driver’s license is required
- Participates in day-to-day decision making within established procedures and organizational policies.
- This position reports to the Facilities Director, and works closely with other Facilities staff to complete projects and set up and tear down for events. This position supports the maintenance needs of all Art Center departments; but is most frequently in contact with peers and managers in Studio Education, Development, Rentals, and Installations.
- Indoor and outdoor work is preformed, sometimes in adverse weather conditions including extreme cold and heat.
- Shift times vary to meet the museum’s requirement to staff the facilities during open hours and to staff private events.
- The demand of this position often requires a high level of physical endurance. Work is medium to heavy requiring a minimum exertion of 75 lbs of force occasionally and 45 lbs of force frequently to move and carry objects.
- Noise level associated with this position is usually moderate but can fluctuate between being occasionally quiet and sometimes very loud.
- Employees are frequently exposed to dirt, water, grease and oil while performing job duties.
- While performing the requirements of this job, employee is frequently required to walk, sit, stand, use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms, bend, stoop, kneel, and crouch for extended periods.
- Must have excellent eyesight, color vision, depth perception, hearing, and sense of smell to detect odors and listen and inspect machine operations.
- Must be able to climb a ladder.
- Workweek is Tuesday through Saturday.
This is a full-time position eligible for benefits including PTO, paid family leave, health, dental, vision, life, long-term disability, accident insurance, critical illness, flexible spending, employee assistance program and 403(b) retirement.
Starting wage negotiable based on skill and experience.
This position will remain open until filled.
Equal Employment Statement
The Art Center is dedicated to equal employment and advancement opportunities. It is the Art Center’s policy to hire and promote qualified individuals on the basis of their qualifications, interest and aptitude, without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other protected group under applicable state, federal or local law.
To be considered for this position, please fill out the application below.