Art Classroom Assistant
The Des Moines Art Center is a world-class museum in the heart of the Midwest. With a focus on contemporary art, it has amassed an important collection exhibited in three major buildings, on the grounds, and downtown in the John and Mary Pappajohn Sculpture Park. In addition, the Art Center presents thought-provoking exhibitions, educational programs and hands-on studio art classes.
The Art Classroom Assistant is responsible for providing support to children’s classes and assisting with general studio organization and maintenance. Responsibilities include but are not limited to material distribution, studio set-up and tear-down, and assisting instructors with demonstrations and classroom management. This position is designed for a person with an interest in pursuing art education who has an understanding and interest in art materials and processes.
- Assisting the instructor(s) with the class, passing out materials, encouraging and helping young students, clarifying instructions, and listening and anticipating instructor(s) and student needs. Promotes classes, responds to inquiries, and processes drop-in registrations. Provides direction to students and faculty.
- Setting up studio tables, chairs/stools, gathering materials, redistributing materials, properly cleaning and maintaining art supplies and materials. Opens the Education wing of the Art Center and secures the entrance and studios at closing.
- Maintaining studio organization and cleanliness. Reporting the status of studios and materials to manager.
- Collecting, mounting, labelling student artwork for student exhibitions.
- Assisting at special community events, as needed.
- Good working knowledge of and/or experience with a variety of art materials.
- Excellent organization and communication skills.
- Self-motivated and flexible attitude.
- Able to act independently and solve problems on own initiative.
- Professionalism in interacting with staff, faculty, students, parents / families, and public.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from work.
- Be able to pass a criminal background check if 18 years of age or older.
- Passion for working with children.
- Interest in art and art-making.
- Acts in ways that reflect favorably on the Art Center and maintains professional standards in the quality of performance and demonstration of concern for the Art Center’s collection, programs, and facilities. Adheres to Des Moines Art Center Code of Ethics, Employee Handbook and other organizational policies.
- Flexibility in scheduling to meet department needs.
Qualifications (work experience, education, certification)
- Experience with children ages 4-12 preferred.
- Participate in day-to-day operational decision making under the guidance of Studio Education Manager.
- This position reports to the Studio Education Manager.
Special Considerations (Work Environment, Schedule, Required Travel, etc.)
- Work is performed in an indoor studio setting. Occasionally work is performed outdoors.
Compensation and actual working hours TBD for this part time position.
This position will remain open until filled.
Equal Employment Statement
The Art Center is dedicated to equal employment and advancement opportunities. It is the Art Center’s policy to hire and promote qualified individuals on the basis of their qualifications, interest and aptitude, without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other protected group under applicable state, federal or local law.
To be considered for this position, please fill out the application below.