Security Guard position

 
  • Des Moines
  • Art Center
  • 4700 Grand Ave
  • Des Moines, Iowa
  • 515.277.4405
  • Hours | Directions

  • John & Mary Pappajohn
  • Sculpture Park
  • 13th and Grand Ave
  • Downtown
  • Des Moines, Iowa
  • Hours | Directions

The Des Moines Art Center is known for its world-class collection of artwork and magnificent
architecture. The Art Center is seeking a part-time Security Guard to help safeguard the institution’s
assets, personnel, and visitors.

Primary Responsibilities
    •Provide excellent customer service to guests while ensuring their safety and enjoyment while visiting the museum
    •Observe and assist visitors; tactfully remind visitors of rules, regulations, and proper conduct while in the museum as needed
    •Provide security for galleries, public spaces, meeting rooms, offices, storage areas, traffic corridors, and physical plants
    •Regulate and control traffic through the galleries; ensure the smooth operation of special events
    •Remain alert to prevent persons from removing, vandalizing, stealing, or destroying works of art or other museum property
    •Observe artwork and building conditions for changes
    •Administer first aid and respond to calls for emergency assistance

Required skills and experience 
    •Excellent customer service skills
    •Good working knowledge of security operations, safety practices in a business environment and enforcement procedures
    •Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with staff and the public, to understand and follow standard operating procedures, to perform duties in a professional manner and appearance, to exercise good judgment within proper policy and procedures

    •Dependability, flexibility, and adaptability, in a dynamic event-driven environment
    •Must be able to remain calm in stressful situations and help resolve customer complaints with tact and courtesy

Physical Requirements
    •Approximately 95% of time is spent standing or moving around work areas; remaining time (approximately 5%) is spent seated 
    •Clear diction and adequate hearing are necessary for effective communication with co-workers and the public
    •Corrected vision close to 20/20 and the ability to stoop and kneel are necessary for performing inspections
    •Good manual dexterity is necessary for radio use and handling of keys and doors

Other Requirements
    •Must be 18 years or older
    •Be able to successfully pass a criminal background check
    •Must have reliable transportation to and from work

This is a part-time position (approximately 20 hours per week) consisting primarily of daytime
shifts on Saturday and Sunday, Thursday evenings, and periodically, other evenings when
events are scheduled.

Work is generally performed inside in a climate-controlled environment with light background noise.

Starting wage is negotiable based on skill and experience.

Interested applicants may complete an employment application and return it by e-mail, mail, or fax to:

Des Moines Art Center
Attn: Human Resources
4700 Grand Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50312
Fax 515-271-0350
E-mail