The Des Moines Art Center is known for its world-class collection of artwork and magnificent
architecture. The Art Center is seeking a Part-time Sales Associate to provide excellent customer
service to museum visitors and retail customers.
• Open point of sale register and balance register at the close of each day; enter sales and
take payment for merchandise
• Straighten, clean, and organize sales floor each day upon arrival and as needed
• Prepare and price incoming merchandise
• Maintain product knowledge of merchandise and museum exhibitions and programs; convey
this information to customers
• Cultivate Art Center memberships
Required skills and experience
• Excellent communication and customer service skills are essential
• Ability to learn point of sale system
• Proficient in using Microsoft Office software and navigating the internet
• Desire to learn about the Art Center and its collections
• Previous retail sales experience is preferred
• Medium Work Requiremenst: standing, climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching,
walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, repetitive
motion and driving
• May need to exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or 20 pounds of force frequently
• The ability to climb on a ladder is required
• Be able to successfully pass a criminal background check
• Must have reliable transportation to and from work
Work is generally performed in an indoor environment with occasional outdoor work for specific events
This is a part-time position scheduled primarily during daytime hours on alternating weekdays,
Saturdays, Sundays and Thursday evenings for approximately 15 – 20 hours per week.
Starting wage is negotiable based on skill and experience.
Interested applicants may apply online HERE.