The Des Moines Art Center is known for its world-class collection of artwork and magnificent
architecture. In addition, the Art Center presents thought-provoking exhibitions, educational
programs and hands-on studio art classes.
The Art Center is seeking a Maintenance and Janitorial Worker to maintain the Art Center
buildings and grounds and provide a fresh, clean, safe environment for visitors and staff.
• Performs cleaning duties involving restrooms, floors, windows, surfaces, and trash removal
• Sets up and tears down furniture and equipment for Art Center events
• Performs duties such as interior and exterior painting; ground work including mowing,
trimming and watering; snow removal
• Light carpentry
• Execute minor HVAC adjustments
• Repair equipment and plumbing
Required Skills and Experience
• Experience with building systems and maintenance, light carpentry and plumbing skills
• Professionalism in interacting with staff, consultants, contractors, and museum visitors
• Must be able to frequently lift 20-50 lbs.
• Must be able to climb a ladder
• Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods and frequently bend and stoop
• Must have good eyesight, hearing and sense of smell to detect odors and listen and
watch machine operations
• Ability to pass criminal background check
• Valid driver's license with clean driving record
• Must have reliable transportation to and from work
Work schedule is generally Monday – Friday daytime hours. Weekend and evening shifts
are often required to staff Art Center events. Indoor and outdoor work is performed
sometimes in adverse weather conditions including extreme cold or heat.
This is a full-time position eligible for benefits including health, dental, life, long-term disability,
flexible spending, employee assistance program and 403(b) retirement.
Starting wage is based on skill and experience.
Deadline to submit application is Friday, November 15. Qualified applicants may apply online.